Resources for Undocumented Students at UCLA


The Bruin Resource Center Undocumented Student’s Program (BRC) helps undocumented students connect with other AB540 students and to get information on financial and academic resources. They also offer free meal vouchers! Drop by to talk to the AB540 Student Services Coordinator to get specific referrals. Their office is located in the Student Activities Center (SAC) from Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.

580 Cafe offers struggling students free food. Located in St. Alban’s Episcopal Church at 580 Hilgard Ave. Every student is welcome to come and enjoy the space.

Food Closet at SAC (Student Activities Center) on the first floor has a pantry with canned goods and snacks. Open most hours, anyone is welcome to stop by and grab something to eat.

IDEAS (Improving Dreams, Equality, Access, and Success) is a support and advocacy group for undocumented students on campus. Meetings are on Fridays from 3 p.m.-5 p.m. at SAC (Students Activities Center) Basement 1 and 2.

MEChA Peer Counseling provides a safe space to meet throughout the year with a personal peer counselor. Any topic of your choice (personal challenges, academic goals, etc.) can be discussed. If interested, feel free to contact them at [email protected]

Associated Students UCLA (ASUCLA)  has a textbook rental/ebook program.

AAP (Academic Advancement Program) offers employment/scholarship opportunities as well as internship opportunities. You can locate them in 1232 Campbell Hall and ask about how to apply to their program.

Study Hall  offers a quiet environment to study from Monday-Thursday from 7 p.m. to 12 a.m., in the SAC (Students Activities Center) Basement. Anybody is welcome to come study!

Van Services for students who attend the study hall (stated above) for at least an hour can get a free ride from 8 p.m. to midnight within a 30 mile radius of UCLA. Contact the CPO office at SAC (Student Activities Center) for more information.

UCLA Economic Crisis Response Team  offers services to all UCLA students, regardless of residency status. Please email if you are in financial distress at [email protected].

Recent Legislation:

California Dream Act (AB 130 & AB 131) Law passed in 2011 that allows AB540 students to receive financial aid while attending college.

AB 130 (effective January 1, 2012) allows eligible AB540 students to apply for and receive scholarships at California public colleges and universities derived from non-state funds.

AB 131 (effective January 1, 2013) allows eligible 540 students to receive financial aid at California public colleges and universities partially derived from state funds beginning spring 2013.

AB540 (passed in 2001) makes it possible to pay for in-state tuition instead of out of state tuition.

Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) On June 12, 2015,  the Department of Homeland Security announced that certain people who came here as children can request for Deferred Action for a period of 2 years with renewal. DACA also allows you to be eligible to apply for work authorization (3 years).

SB 1210 is a law that allows undocumented students to apply for state loans. This law applies for the 2015-2016 school year.

SB 247 is a bill that authorizes the governing board of each school district that oversees grades 9-12 to establish on-campus Dream Centers to provide information to undocumented pupils/students about educational support services.

Other Good Resources


United We Dream

Scholarship Opportunities!

Becas Univision Scholarship DUE MARCH 30, 2016

Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund DUE APRIL 1, 2016

eQuality Scholarship Collaborative DUE FEBRUARY 1, 2016

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *